First Aid in the Workplace
Who’s this course for?
Anyone over the age of 16 who needs to become a qualified First Aider in the workplace.
This course is designed for a workplace which has been risk assessed as higher risk in the First aid needs assessment.
The Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981, place a general duty on Employers to ensure that there is adequate First Aid provision for their Employees should they become ill or suffer injury at work. This course is designed to meet these requirements.
Who should attend?
The selection of employees who will be trained as First Aiders must consider an individuals:
- Reliability, disposition and communication skills
- Aptitude and ability to absorb new knowledge and learn new skills
- Ability to cope with stressful and physically demanding emergency procedures
- That they could leave their duties immediately to respond to an emergency in the workplace
We can run this course at your venue or you can join one of our open courses at a variety of venues across the UK
What our syllabus covers
This course involves a minimum of 18 hours contact teaching time and is normally run over three consecutive days. Students will be trained in the procedures, safety requirements and management skills for First Aid.
No previous experience or knowledge is required to attend this course.
The course will cover:
- The importance of preventing cross infection
- The need for recording incidents and actions
- Use of available First Aid equipment
- Accessing the situation and circumstances in order to act safely, promptly, and effectively in an emergency.
How to manage:
- Unconsciousness including seizures
- Wounds & bleeding
- Injuries to bones, muscles and joints, including suspected spinal injuries
- Burns & scalds
- Eye injuries
- Anaphylactic shock
- Major illness including heart attack, stroke, epilepsy, asthma, diabetes
- Minor injuries including small cuts, grazes, bruises, minor burns and scalds, small splinters
Is there an exam?
Yes, this consists of:
- A Practical CPR assessment and casualty management skills
- Ongoing management of First Aid scenarios
- A multiple choice question paper