Overdose

No comments yet

Overdose
It’s every parent’s worst nightmare to discover that their child has found and swallowed some pills or medicine. If you suspect this has happened, stay calm and don’t let the child get frightened. Call 999 and, while you’re waiting for help to arrive, find the box or bottle for the pills – plus any remaining ones – to take to the hospital and show the doctor.

NEVER make the child sick, as this may cause choking. but if they are sick spontaneously, try to collect a sample to take with you to the hospital. If the child is unconscious and not breathing, start resuscitation immediately! If the child is conscious, sit them in a comfortable position and give reassurance while you wait for help to arrive.

What are the signs and symptoms of a mild non-prescription medication overdose?

  • Flushed (red) skin or dry mouth
  • Ringing in the ears and trouble hearing
  • A fast heartbeat
  • Vomiting, or vomit that has blood in it
  • Hallucinating (seeing or hearing things that are not there) or having trouble talking clearly
  • Dilated (large) pupils, hyperactivity (unable to stand or sit still), or seizures
  • Dizziness or sleepiness, trouble breathing, confusion, or unconsciousnes

How is a severe of life-threatening non-prescription medication overdose treated? 

  • Anticonvulsants are given to stop seizures that may be caused by a medicine overdose.
  • Sedativesmay help keep your child calm and relaxed if he is upset or agitated (easily angered).
  • A ventilatoris a machine that gives your child oxygen and breathes for him when he cannot breathe well on his own

 

 

 


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *